DERBYSHIRE HERITAGE Derbyshire Peak District - higger-tor


In the mid 19th century beer was believed to be a cure for lead-poisoning. There were around 18 pubs in the mid 18th century but one inn which has survived since the 17th century, is The Miner's Standard built in 1653. It is outside the main village, by the road which leads to Grangemill and Newhaven and was once surrounded by a miners' shanty-town.

Most miners lived in the area around the Market Hall although a small settlement called Islington Green, thought to be miners, once stood astride Islington Lane behind the Miners Standard and close by the Ore House.

Miners Standard Winster
copyright © Derbyshire Heritage
site map