DERBYSHIRE HERITAGE Derbyshire Peak District - higger-tor


The Peacock Hotel at Rowsley was originally built in 1652 as a gentleman's residence in the Jacobean style, by John Stevenson of Elton, a "man of affairs", in the service of Grace, Lady Manners as their agent. It was a Dower House and later a farmhouse before it became an inn.
It became a hotel in 1828 when Rowsley's two post inns, the Nag's Head and the Red Lion were closed. A peacock carved in stone by Trevis Bath, who also carved the village fountain, is the crest of the Manners family, including the Dukes of Rutland and sits over the two storey porch.

Peacock Hotel at Rowsley
copyright © Derbyshire Heritage
site map