DERBYSHIRE HERITAGE Derbyshire Peak District - higger-tor

BAILEY'S TUMP at Asker Lane, Matlock

An information plaque tells us -

The Tump (a mound) is made from spoil out of the excavations for the Derwent Valley Aqueduct.
This pipeline was installed across the fields to the west in the early 1900’s. It still carries water from the Derwent Dams (20 miles to the north) as far as Leicester (40 miles to the south). The landowner at the time was Ernest Bailey. So the site became ‘Bailey’s Tump’.
In the 1930’s Bailey’s Tump was fortified as an air defence site.
The circular enclosures are the remains of the ramparts which sheltered the equipment and protected the soldiers. The Tump was in use from 1939 to 1945 as part of the outer defences of Sheffield and its steel industry.
In Winter 1940 an attacking Dornier bomber was brought down. It crashed near Great Longstone (10 miles to the west).
In 1944 and 1945 the searchlight was pointed upwards to act as a navigation aid for allied bombers attacking Germany.
In 2005 Bailey’s Tump was restored by Matlock Civic Association and Matlock Town Council using a grant from the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Bailey's Tump
Bailey's Tump plaque Bailey's Tump
Bailey's Tump Bailey's Tump
copyright © Derbyshire Heritage
site map