ONE ASH GRANGE - SK169652
One Ash Grange was originally a farming outpost of Roche Abbey settled by the Cistercian monks of Roche Abbey in 1147. According to tradition, monks who had misbehaved were sent here; there is a similar story about Mouldridge Grange.
Later One Ash Grange belonged to the Bowman family, who in 1700 were granted a licence to hold Quaker meetings there. A translation of the licence is amongst the Bowman Collection in Bakewell Old House Museum. During the First World War, Sydney Bowman of Monyash drove to France and offered both himself and his car for ambulance duty; his car was twice hit by shellfire. The Quakers subsequently organised an ambulance service for the troops.
Quakers - The Religious Society of Friends - had strong Peak District connections. It was at Derby that George Fox, on trial for blasphemy in 1650, told the judge that he should 'tremble at the word of the Lord,' earning in return the nickname Quakers for himself and his followers. Monyash was also the home of John Gratton, a prominent early Quaker. The village became something of a Quaker centre, the Quaker meeting house still stands along the road towards Flagg and behind it there is a Quaker cemetery. John Bright, of the Anti Corn-Law League, was a friend of the Bowmans and spent his honeymoon at One Ash Grange.
Fragments of a cross were found near One Ash Grange Farm during the course of archaeological fieldwork by the Department of Prehistory and Archaeology of the University of Sheffield. The actual finds were at SK16396458 on the surface of a rubble-filled mining hollow. The pieces of cross arm are now in Buxton Museum. The remnants of two cross arms were found; one had bosses which had been chiseled into shape, but the other had no trace of a boss so they came from different cross heads.
Beside the path is a small building believed to have been used by the monks as a cold store.
A row of pig styes can also be seen which are Grade II listed buildings.
from the British Listed Buildings site -
Description: Pigstyes at One Ash Grange Grade: II Date Listed: 27 July 1984
SK 16 NE PARISH OF MONYASH YOULGREAVE ROAD
6/159 (North Side)
Pigstyes at One Ash Grange
Row of pigstyes, C18. Coursed limestone rubble with gritstone dressings. Stone slate roof. Single storey building with four pens to front. Rubble walls with slab copings. Four gateways with feeding troughs between, made up of twin niches with sloping stone slabs through to other side of walls. Low opening to each sty. Included for group value only. Listing NGR: SK1689565250 Source: English Heritage
MINERALS SPECIMENS for SALE
My Collection of Mineral Specimens is up for sale.
If interested then please follow the link to it
copyright © Derbyshire Heritage