The brick works took advantage of the geological anomaly of a pocket silica pit close by and was able to use the Cromford and High Peak Railway to transport the finished product to distant markets. With the abolition of the Brick Tax in 1850 brick works were set up in many places along the railway.
The works does not appear on the first edition of the 1840 Ordnance Survey, is recorded on the second edition in 1899 and marked as unused by the third edition of 1910.
There were two kilns, ancillary buildings and a railway siding.
Roystone Grange by Richard Hodges
p135-141 gives a detailed account of the brickworks its operation and archaeological excavation.