ROYAL OBSERVER CORPS POST at ASHOVER
At 299 metres above sea level at a place known locally as 'Ashover Rock' a rocky out crop on the 'The Fabrick'.
Ashover Royal Observer Corps post was opened in January 1938 and equipped with flares to warn aircraft of the high ground in the area in 1943. The Observer Corps Cricket Team played Ashover Cricket Club in the early part of the Second World War to raise funds for the Red Cross.
In November 1959 the post was re-built underground and in 1991 it was closed. It was later bought by three local radio amateurs for £1000 who planned to used it as a radio shack but someone cut the top of the hatch off and stole all their equipment. They repaired the damage but shortly after, the post was broken into again so they gave up.
copyright © Derbyshire Heritage