DERBYSHIRE HERITAGE Derbyshire Peak District - higger-tor
 

Peacock Oakerthorpe

from The Peacock Inn website -
The Peacock Inn, situated near the Alfreton-South Wingfield crossroads, dates back into the eleventh century and is reputed to be the oldest inn in the county of Derbyshire.The inn is mentioned in the Domesday Book, when it was known as Ufton Barnsand. It was rebuilt in 1613 and has a most interesting history; legend has it that Dick Turpin, one of the most famous highwaymen in English history, stopped off at the inn on his ride to York.

An underground passage in the bottom of the cellar in the Peacock Inn is reported to lead to nearby South Wingfield Manor. Exploration through the tunnel leads to a large cave where there is a deep pool of water over thick mud. The tunnel is around five feet high and about four feet wide, with parts bricked up - most of it is excavated through living rock.

Another legend associated with the Peacock tells that in the eighteenth century, a respected churchwarden at the chapel and the landlord of the Peacock Inn was Peter Kendall. He had a beautiful daughter named Ann, who wore such fashionable wide hooped dresses that she had to enter the church doorway sideways. The local church, which figures quite largely in the following tale, is called South Wingfield, although it is on the Oakerthorpe side of the River Amber.

Ann Kendall was courted by a young local farmer, who seems to have remained anonymous in the records. The farmer seduced Ann and she fell pregnant. The farmer then deserted Ann and left her to give birth to a daughter. The disgrace so weighed upon poor Miss Kendall’s mind that she died on fourteenth of May 1745 of a broken heart. Just before she died she asked for Psalm 109 to be read at her funeral. Since that time, at churches within the district Psalm 109 is known as “Miss Kendall’s Psalm.”

MINERALS SPECIMENS for SALE

My Collection of Mineral Specimens is up for sale.

If interested then please follow the link to it

Mineral specimens for sale

copyright © Derbyshire Heritage
site map
links