Tissington St Mary's church dates back to Norman times, probably being built shortly after 1100. It is known to have been a place of worship since Celtic and Saxon times. Records show it it was a well established church by 1227.
Its church tower has walls about 4 feet thick at the base and one of the original windows may still be seen on the south side. The butresses were added later, probably when the roof was altered in the 13th century.
Chancel and south doorway of the present church date back to Norman times, with the doorway featuring a Norman tympanum containing two small standing figures. The belfry contains 3 bells.
Extensive restoration was carried out in 1854 when the north aisle was added. Many typically Norman atributes remain.
It contains monuments to the Fitzherbert family.