Originally the church of St Martin in Stoney Middleton was built by Joan Eyre in thanksgiving for the safe return of her husband, Robert, from the 1415 Battle of Agincourt.
Much of the church was pulled down in 1759 after a devastating fire and all that remains on the original fifteenth century church is the square tower.
Subsequently the the main body of the church was rebuilt, in the same year, with an unusual octagonal nave.
The architect also designed the stables of Chatsworth House and those behind The Crescent at Buxton, Eyam Rectory and Stoke Hall near Grindleford. A century ago church historian, Dr. Charles Cox, grumbled that the architect would have been better to confine his talents exclusively to secular work.'
The interior is of interest, as all the pews face the centre.
There is a tribute to Urban Smith who was vicar for 53 years and when John Riddlesded retires after 47 years pf service he was only the second vicar in a century of continuous service.