DERBYSHIRE PINFOLDS The names pinfold and pound are Saxon in origin as "pundfald" and "pund" both meaning an enclosure. Pinfold appears to have been used mostly in the North and East of the country whilst pound was mostly used in the south and west.
Pinfolds are known to date from medieval times and by the 16th century most villages would probably have had one. Unfortunately relatively few remain today with many having fallen into disrepair or been dismantled.
Pinfolds were originally built to hold animals which had been found straying from their owner's land or grazing on the common without common rights. The animals were driven into the pinfold and kept there at the expense of the owner until a fine was paid.
It was only on payment of a fine to the Pinder who was an officer of the Lord of the Manor that the animals were released.
Forcibly breaking into the pinfold to release the animals was an offence punishable by a fine and/or imprisonment.
Sometimes, for a small fee, the Pinfolds would be used by drovers to pen their animals overnight whilst on route to the market.
The restored ancient pinfold on Wilkin Hill was a gift to the parish council in the 1890’s from the Duke of Rutland
Only the plaque gives a clue as to the position of the Birchover pinfold. The wall is much higher than normal and it is incorporated into a private garden.
CURBAR pinfold located on the south side of the steep hill up from the River Derwent - Curbar pinfold was restored in 2010 HOPE pinfold
Situated by the bridge over the Peakshole Water, beside the Pindale road, at SK 172833. It has a diameter of about 15ft and limestone walls about 6ft in height with a bolted wooden door, and is still used on occasions.
As recently as 1967 a total of 300 sheep over the year were impounded in the Hope pinfold, charge for their recovery being 2s 6d (12½p) a head in summer, and is 6d (7½p) in winter (the charge higher in summer because of the greater potential damage to growing grass and crops) in addition to 2d (1p) per animal for the pinner.
Expenses of transport-or in modern times of telephoning-involved in informing the owner can also be claimed by the pinner at Hope who is obliged to convey the information personally, and not by letter, as a guarantee that word is received. The owner risks a fine of £500 if he illegally breaks into the pinfold to retrieve his stock.
This ivy clad pinfold is found opposite the Miners Arms Inn at Milltown near Ashover.
This pound is Grade II listed - from the British Listed Buildings site -
Description: Pound to the South of the Miners Arms
Date Listed: 30 August 1995
1264-0/8/76 Pound to the south of the Miners Arms II Village pound. C18 or C19. Rectangular enclosure of coursed rubble gritstone, with triangular copings, and two massive gatepiers which define a central entry, which has a railed gate of iron. Restored 1977.
MINERALS SPECIMENS for SALE
My Collection of Mineral Specimens is up for sale.
If interested then please follow the link to it
copyright © Derbyshire Heritage