DERBYSHIRE HERITAGE Derbyshire Peak District - higger-tor

Odin mine
Odin mine entrance Odin mine crushing circle

To the west of Castleton by the side of the old 1810 road is Odin mine and crushing circle.

The steeply inclined gash to the west of the road marks the entrance to Odin mine. Traditionally its name is associated with having been worked as a penal settlement under the control of the invading Norsemen but no confirmation of this has been found.

It is known that written records confirm that it existed in 1260. Like many other lead mining ventures water was a constant problem and it was four hundred years later that these were overcome thus allowing lead production to increase until it peaked between 1720 and 1800. One hundred men, women and children worked the mine to produce up to eight hundred tones of lead ore per year.

The mine closed in 1847.

On the east side of the road lies the well preserved crushing circle dating from 1823.

The lead ore from Odin and other mines was brought here to be processed before being transported away to Bradwell to be smelted.

A horse drawn iron banded gritstone wheel mounted on a wooden beam circled the 18in diameter iron track to crush the ore. At other locations rollers were used to crush the ore but here can be seen the 70 inch diameter gritstone wheel and its 2inch thick iron band which was fixed to it by wedges in lateral grooves in the wheel rim.

copyright © Derbyshire Heritage
site map