DERBYSHIRE HERITAGE Derbyshire Peak District - higger-tor

Wakebridge mine - Crich
Wakebridge mine

SK339558 Wakebridge mine the engine house has lost its upper storey, but its original use for a beam engine is obvious because of the 5 ft-thick end wall for beam support.

It had two shafts: a drawing shaft of 660 feet and a climbing shaft.The two shafts are protected by iron fencing.

The engine shaft was 660 ft deep, worked by E. M. Wass & Co, 1857.

The engine was removed to either Bonsall or Portaway Mine. Traces of slag are to be found amongst the debris of the old crushing floor.

There was smelting here in 1580.

copyright © Derbyshire Heritage
site map