DERBYSHIRE HERITAGE Derbyshire Peak District - higger-tor
 

Bull Ring Henge at Dove Holes
Bull Ring Henge

The Bull Ring is a Class II henge near Dove Holes built in the late Neolithic period and is National Monument number 23282. About 20m away from the henge there are two barrows; one oval, one bowl.

The construction is a large, circular earthwork, about 1m high and 9-11m wide which was originally 2m high and 5.5-7m wide. There is a ditch on the inside varying between 0.5 to 1 metres deep and 8 to 12 metres wide; it was originally 1.2-2.1m deep and 5-6.5m wide. The ditch and bank are separated by a berm, which was originally 5m wide. There are entrances to the north and south, each of which have a causeway across the ditch. A skeleton was reputedly found near the north entrance; this entrance was also damaged in the 19th century by quarrying. The centre of the henge was ploughed in the 18th century; a drystone wall was also built across the site during the same era.

A single standing stone (orthostat) was recorded as remaining in 1789 by Pilkington, potentially the remnant of a stone circle. It has been suggested that stones from the henge were used as sleepers for the Peak Forest Tramway circa 1790.

copyright © Derbyshire Heritage
site map
links