|The Bowstones were the upper parts of the shafts of double Anglo Saxon crosses, dating to the 9th or 10th century AD. The crosses were probably destroyed shortly after the Reformation in the mid 16th century and would be thrown down around 1548 as part of the religious upheavals during the reign of Edward VI. Eventually they would have become covered with earth and vegetation and forgotten. In the seventeenth century two round shafts were found in the Church Field, and were claimed by the Leghs of Lyme who set them up in a specially made stone base sunk into the ground on the boundary of their estate at SJ973813. Where we know them today as the Bowstones.